Tuesday, September 15, 2015

JohnMark's Birth Story Part 2

(Part One)

soooo there we are just waiting in the observation room.

The super sweet nurse asked if I could feel the contractions I was having.... ohhh I thought those were just Braxton-Hicks but I guess they were the real thing.

The doctor on call finally came in. Looked like I was staying to have the baby! We had to choose between an induction or c-section. We were both very firm on not wanting a c-section but after hearing the doctor's opinion I was less convinced. He made it sound like either way I would end up with a c-section.

The thought of going through a really long labor only to end up with a c-section was very discouraging to me. Luckily, Drew and the nurse were very encouraging... so the induction it was!

Around 3pm the doctor gave me Cervidil. (Used to soften the cervix) The hospital was super busy so it took some time for me to get a room. Of course there were a few cracks about not having any room in the inn. We finally got moved into a nice comfy room with a view of the one and only Checkers... the one fast food place I ate in my first trimester and got a little sick every time I have seen it since. I had Drew quickly close the curtains.




The next little bit was very calm. My mom came up to visit, we watched Shark Tank, I begged for some food (how did they not expect me to eat???), and we decided let's not take a nap so we will be able to sleep tonight...... (we are clearly rookies at the whole hospital/labor thing)

My mom left a few hours later and we finally tried to get some sleep around 11pm. Drew curled up on the couch. I was stuck on my side because of my high blood pressure, but I got as comfortable as I could. Then the contractions really started... I told myself it wasn't a big deal. I was feeling them before and was handling them just fine. Then Drew was asleep, they got increasingly worse, I was getting lonely and not even attempting to breathe through them... Drew had probably been sleeping for about 15 minutes when I had to wake him.

I had always envisioned laboring at home for quite awhile before going to the hospital. So having my first real painful contractions after I had already been at the hospital for about 12 hours was weird. The real stuff was just getting started and I had no idea what else would be in store.


4 comments:

  1. Oh man, your induction sounds so similar to mine! It is weird to be induced and then start really laboring once you've already been at the hospital for however many hours (mine was about 36 hours between getting there & suddenly really "feeling" them)! Can't wait to hear the rest of it - birth stories are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! 36 hours is a long time! I'll have to check out your birth story!

      Delete
  2. Cliff hanger!! Cant wait for the rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks for the reminder, I need to finish before I forget it all! :)

      Delete