Thursday, October 1, 2015

7QT: Stamps Galore, Upside-Down Man, and Mom Fails

Linking up with Kelly for another round of Quick Takes!


1. Link-toberfest sounds so fun, especially because I am a newbie! My first 7QT was this last July and was only my 4th blog post. I had forgotten Jen started this... it's weird because I feel so connected to her without ever meeting her (like most bloggers...obviously). I saw Jen wandering around at SEEK 2015 and I hesitated introducing myself. Shortly after SEEK, I read her book, started listening to her radio show, and now one of my really good friends works for her. I will always regret not talking to her when I had the chance!


2. A BIG day happened in the Hines household. I finally finished thank you notes. I don't think I can even convey how big of a deal this is for me. In March 2014, I had my first wedding shower, and then another shower, and then a bachelorette party, a wedding with 390 guests, quarterly newsletters that go out to our few dozen mission partners, Christmas cards, four baby showers, birth announcements, and Baptism gifts. We are so so fortunate to have so many extremely generous family and friends AND we were so blessed to have JM soon after we were married, but holy cow I thought my hand was going to fall off. I have been writing thank you notes for 20 months straight. (However, they definitely weren't timely. I took a nice looonnngg break when I had terrible morning sickness and when we were gone all summer. Better late than never right?)



3. I've been brainstorming Halloween costumes for this little peanut! I just can't decide. We will dress up as a family Friday night and go to the Auburn game on Halloween. I want to take advantage of the few years I get to pick JM's costume. So far I've been thinking Sully from Monsters Inc., a lion (always cute), or Charlie Brown. Drew and I could easily dress up to go with any of those. I also love the idea of JM dressing up like Aubbie, the Auburn tiger mascot for the game. But Drew thinks two costumes is excessive for a 5 month old..... I guess he has a point. I always pride myself on having super creative Halloween costumes... but coordinating costumes for three is much harder! Here is one of my old favorites from high school: Upside-Down Man. I walked around with my arms in the air for a whole school day and no one could tell it was me so I was awkwardly ignored until I stuck my head out of the crotch of the pants. Worth it.




4. JM has started playing with his toes and squealing...... I say squealing, but it's more like semi-pleasant screaming. It's pretty darn cute, but we will see what happens next time we go to mass and he starts practicing his new noises.



5. Drew's brother Neil came to visit last weekend. He is older, but I swear every time those two are together they both act like little boys. It's always fun to have him in town and I think he enjoyed spending time with his Godson!



6. We had two real parenting fails this week.... yikes! JM fell out of his swing. Thankfully we have the space saver swing that is very low to the ground. He was sound asleep, I left the room, and when I came back he was completely calm laying underneath it. Oops! Then, on Thursday night, JM grabbed a bowl of soup and knocked it on himself. Poor baby recovered quickly and luckily it wasn't too hot! Why do babies always get the messiest right after they are bathed?? Here's the aftermath.


7. And I'm just going to finish this off with some gems from this week :)





Happy Weekend Ya'll!

Emily



P.S. I'm on the hunt for comfortable, warm, stylish boots. Do those exist???

9 comments:

  1. I've been trying to come up with a Halloween costume too! Last year we went as Bert & Mary Poppins with Kate as a penguin...and now I'm regretting doing something so cute because there's no way I'm going to come up with an equally good idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous of that idea... I love Mary Poppins! How cute and creative!! Initially, I wanted to dress JM up as a Chipotle burrito... but he is too squirmy now! Maybe someday I will have a newborn at Halloween and I can just wrap them up in foil.

      Delete
  2. 2. WHAT?! Ok, first, I was going to write in my last QT post about how I really dislike having thank you notes hanging over my head, and then I was going to ask . . . how do I make myself do them?! But then John and I just spent several hours yesterday writing 40 thank you notes. I mean, I love being thankful and all, but why does the process of writing thank you notes suck all the life out of meeee and make my hand cramp like real hard?

    3. We're in the same Halloween struggle boat as you! We really wanted to dress John Paul up as a jedi, but are having a hard time finding an infant jedi costume. So now we're stuck. Because things like a pumpkin or a little monster or a giraffe are cool, but it's his first Halloween costume!! SO MUCH PRESSURE to get it right!

    4. One time John Paul screeched SUUUPER loud at Mass as the priest was holding up the Host, consecrating it. Hahahaha. Good thing we were in the cry area. Babies . . . they're funny.

    6. John Paul almost pulled a big bowl of soup on himself today too! Do we have twin babies born apart? (Or perhaps this is all normal behavior for 4.5-month-olds!)

    7. JM is the cutest! Love that you're wearing him and cooking at the same time. Multitasking, ftw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40 thank you notes in one day?? That is CRAZY impressive!! I know, I am waiting for the day to come when it is acceptable to email a thank you!

      John Paul knew something awesome was going on right then! :) I tried out the cry room today because JohnMark was fussy and hungry.. he was so distracted by the other kiddos he wouldn't eat! But it was pretty darn cute seeing him smile at the other babies. I think John Paul and JohnMark would definitely get along even if they aren't twins :)

      Delete
  3. I am dreading all of the thank you notes that are soon going to be coming...I naively am telling myself that as I get a gift in the mail I will immediately write one that very moment. HA. I bet that is the same as moms who say there will be no screen time until they are 5. ALSO Ryan and I were talking about the costumes and we think you should do Monsters inc. Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I wrote that comment I realized I owe grandma joan a thank you note...already failing

      Delete
    2. Haha it's a great idea in theory!! I feel like I have all these parenting ideas that will be thrown out the window when the time comes haha JM already loves looking at my phone and watching tv! (that's what he was doing in that last picture)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad I instilled the importance of thank you notes to my kids. Too bad you can't do fill in the blank ones as an adult

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the best!!! (I can't believe I complained about doing those.... if I only knew what was coming!)

      Delete